A WOMAN was hospitalised after being bitten by a spider in her home.
Julie Roberts, 41, was fed antibiotics on a drip and kept in for four days after being left in agony.
The mum of four had been resting her feet on the sofa when the white spider bit into her ankle.
She went to work the next day but was soon barely able to walk and given tablets by her GP.
After her condition worsened and the bite began to swell up, the secretary was rushed to Hull Royal Infirmary, East Yorks.
During her stay it grew to the size of a golf ball — and burst twice.
Julie, of Hull, said: “It turned white and continued to grow and grow.
“The doctor said it could have poisoned my blood. The whole thing was really scary.”
She was eventually discharged but says she now has a morbid fear of creepy crawlies.
Julie added: “Before if I saw a spider I would happily leave it. Now I’m petrified of them.
“You expect to hear things like this in Australia or Africa, but not in England.”
Article written and sub edited by myself.
Originally published in The Sun on Sunday September 15 2013.